As far as we know the elephants were sculptured by Mr. Harold Squires in the mid to late 1920s for the owners of Bayview Golf Links as it was then known – Mr. John Orr and his wife Christina who had settled in Bayview in 1924. The elephants stood in front of their house in a large pond which overlooked the golf course.
Harold Squires and his wife Mabel moved into the stone house Dungarvon, in Park Street where they stayed until the early 1950s. Harold was a keen sculptor and probably his best known work is the black boy on the water buffalo cart which has been restored and can be seen in E. J. Shaw’s yard on Pittwater Road. It is understood there were many native figures and animals in the Squires’ garden.
As can be seen from one of the early Post Cards of Mona Vale the elephants were originally built as a fountain.
Now installed in their new home by the 18th green we can again enjoy them as a water feature. With the demolition of John Orr’s house and the old clubhouse the elephants are the only memory of a bygone area.
Barbara Pearce 2009