About our Club
Bayview Golf Club is a picturesque private golf club with a relaxed atmosphere making it ideal for playing golf and socialising. Our magnificent clubhouse along with land that is wholly owned by the club is located in Mona Vale nearby to Pittwater and Broken Bay. The club offers 18 holes of pure sporting enjoyment among the rolling hills of the Peninsula.
The course’s tree-lined and undulating fairways are impressive and test the skills of most golfers. The lake, creeks and water hazards add to the challenge.
In February 2009 Bayview invested in a new $7.2 million state of the art clubhouse. This provides the members with access to stylish locker rooms, a Members’ Bar with an elegant restaurant and a function room that holds 200 guests. Parking for 110 cars is located under the complex with 36 parking areas right outside the front door.
In 1924 a New Zealand sheep farmer John Orr and his wife Christina arrived in Australia and purchased a parcel of land known as the Winnerreremy Swamp in Mona Vale. He was a keen golfer and it wasn’t long before he’d built six holes for his own enjoyment. A generous man, he asked others to play and added more holes and Mrs Orr entertained with afternoon tea. In 1928 a small Clubhouse was built and a tin was nailed to an Ironbark tree beside the 1st Tee. An honesty system of 1 shilling a round was agreed upon. This was the beginning of Bayview Golf Club. In 1932 a larger Clubhouse was built and in 1933 more land was purchased on the far side of Cabbage Tree Road. With the advent of the war and the death of John Orr in 1941 the course became neglected; however towards the end of the 40’s people filtered back to the course.
Our Golf Club has had a number of name changes over the years – Bayview Links, Bayview Country Club and Bayview Country Golf Links but in 1948 Bayview Golf Club Limited was formed and the Course and Clubhouse leased by the Members. It was not until 1967 that the Members raised funds and purchased the Course and Clubhouse from Mrs Orr.
How the Elephants Got Here
As far as we know the elephants were sculptured by Mr. Harold Squires in the mid to late 1920s for the owners of Bayview Golf Links (as it was then known), Mr John Orr and his wife Christina who had settled in Bayview in 1924. The elephants stood in front of their house in a large pond which overlooked the golf course.
Harold Squires and his wife Mabel moved into the stone house Dungarvon in Park Street where they stayed until the early 1950s. Harold was a keen sculptor and probably his best known work is the black boy on the water buffalo cart which has been restored and can be seen in E. J. Shaw’s yard on Pittwater Road. It is understood there were many native figures and animals in the Squires’ garden.
As can be seen from one of the early Post Cards of Mona Vale the elephants were originally built as a fountain.
Now installed in their new home by the 18th green we can again enjoy them as a water feature. With the demolition of John Orr’s house and the old clubhouse the elephants are the only memory of a bygone area.– Barbara Pearce 2009