In 1924 a New Zealand sheep farmer John Orr and his wife Christina arrived in Australia and purchased a parcel of land known as the Winnerreremy Swamp in Mona Vale. He was keen golfer and it was not long before he had built six holes for his own enjoyment. A generous man, he asked others to play and added more holes and Mrs. Orr entertained with afternoon tea. In 1928 a small Clubhouse was built and a tin was nailed to an ironbark tree beside the 1st Tee, an honesty system of 1 shilling a round was agreed upon. This was the beginning of Bayview Golf Club. In 1932 a larger Clubhouse was built and in 1933 more land was purchased on the far side of Cabbage Tree Road. With the advent of the war and the death of John Orr in 1941 the course became neglected, however towards the end of the 40’s people filtered back to the course.
Our Sydney Northern Beaches Golf Course has had a number of name changes over the years Bayview Links, Bayview Country Club, Bayview Country Golf Links but in 1948 Bayview Golf Club Limited was formed and the Course and Clubhouse leased by the Members. It was not until 1967 that the Members raised funds and purchased the Course and Clubhouse from Mrs. Orr.